The Government have released a guide for schools about the benefits of apprenticeships for their workforce, and how the apprenticeship levy and public sector target apply to schools. This guidance includes:
- An introduction to apprenticeships in schools
- Understanding apprenticeships
- Apprenticeship funding (including; Incentives and additional payments, the apprenticeship levy, expiry of apprenticeship levy funds, how funding works if you do not pay the apprenticeship levy, reserving funding and transfers of apprenticeship levy funds)
- How the apprenticeship levy applies to schools (including; Voluntary-aided and foundation schools, Community and voluntary-controlled schools, Acadamies, Pooling of PAYEs and accessing apprenticeships if the levy is paid indirectly through a larger employer)
- How can levy funds be used?
- What does off-the-job training mean in a school context?
- Apprenticeship options for schools
- Apprenticeship training providers
- How the public sector apprenticeship target applies to schools
One thing not mentioned in the guide is that you do not have to employ the apprentice(s) directly yourself, you could use the services of an ATA (Apprenticeship Training Agency) such as SEAC.
SEAC offers a fully managed service and has vast experience in working with schools to support apprenticeship engagement.
We provide a low cost and low risk way for schools to take on an apprentice, we recruit and employ the Apprentice, and they attend work at your school for the duration of their training. Our service includes:
- Helping you identify where an apprentice could fit in your school (including; Teaching Assistants / PE Teaching Assistants / Admin and reception / Finance / Caretaking / IT / Farm Assistants / Catering)
- Managing the recruitment to provide you with a shortlist of candidates to interview and select from.
- Sourcing the training, arrange the funding and claim any available incentives for you.
- Employing the apprentice on your behalf - you don't need to worry about contracts, payroll, tax, National Insurance, administration. We will support you with performance management and take responsibility for Health & Safety, Safeguarding and all HR matters.
If you would like to find out more about how SEAC can share their wealth of experience supporting apprentices in your school please contact us and we will arrange for one of our dedicated Account Managers to contact you.