Most people consider New Year resolutions for themselves but what about your business? It is important in business to remain fluid and be ready for change, the New Year is a great time to consider your business and staffs needs. Take this opportunity to set some goals for growth and help your business reach new heights.
To be able to see the success of your goals you should consider carefully what you want to achieve. Maybe get your whole team involved to make sure that your resolutions are understandable, realistic and achievable, set time limits and review progress to measure your success. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Global warming is such a large and complex issue, the idea of global warming only being the responsibility of corporate giants is flawed, it is everyone’s responsibility! Everybody can contribute to tackling this rising concern, small steps and changes that you make are not insignificant. Here are just a few easy ideas:
- Sign up for paperless billing where possible.
- Only print essentials, so simple to introduce and money saving on stationary.
- Print using both sides of paper where possible, alternatively consider using the reverse as scrap paper in the office.
- Distribute reusable bottles or cups. Employees will not need to use paper/plastic cups and can reduce usage of bottled water.
- Remember to turn off electronics whenever they are not being used.
- Limit travel to meetings – could the meeting be held online?
- Encourage bike to work or car share schemes.
- Provide different bins for recycling.
- Donate old electronics instead of throwing them away.
- Buy fair trade tea and coffee for the office.
- Use ‘green’ cleaning products.
- Plant trees and shrubs if you have any outside space.
- Source goods and services that are produced in a sustainable way.
Protect both your own and your staff’s mental and physical health by making sure that everyone takes time to recharge. People all manage stress in different ways but there are some key things that can be encouraged:
- Exercise – even a short walk at lunchtime can help!
- Sleep – a good nights sleep is essential.
- Spend time with friends/family – keep those important to you close.
- Give yourself time – hobbies, movies, music…whatever helps relaxation.
Plan ahead for the year and decide where you would like your business to progress. Along with business goals it is a great time to set personal and professional achievements for yourself and any employees. Encourage development and show your staff you are invested in their happiness. A few ideas include:
- Communication – give a little time to catch up with your staff on a regular basis.
- Delegation – look at tasks and see if they can be evenly distributed amongst your team.
- Training – there are both free and paid for courses that may be of interest.
- Truly understand the needs of your customers.
- Marketing plan – times change so keep this current.
- Voluntary Day – consider a team building day helping a local charity or event.
Help and Inspire Others
Remember how difficult it was when you started out in business? Maybe try 'paying it forward' and reach out to help someone else. From offering a pep-talk, to work shadowing, to supporting an apprentice, you could help inspire someone else to succeed.
Plan for the future - Support an Apprentice
An apprentice can be a great addition to any business and with the wide variety of subjects/levels there is always a relevant qualification. SEAC provides a fully managed apprenticeship service including;
- a dedicated Account Manager;
- help identifying where an apprentice could fit in your business;
- full recruitment, including telephone screening to provide you with a short list to interview and select your apprentice from;
- arrangement of the relevant apprenticeship framework or standard through a quality training provider who are one of our trusted delivery partners;
- advice and guidance on the funding routes (levy and non-levy);
- apprentice placement;
- HR services;
- payroll services;
- ongoing support/advice to both you and your apprentice.
We are able to provide support to businesses / organisations of all sizes (both levy and non-levy paying) and have placed apprentices a wide range of places, including:
- SMEs of all types
- Large corporates of all types
- NHS Trusts (including Hospitals and GP surgeries)
- Local Government
The team at SEAC are passionate about apprenticeships, contact us now to arrange a ‘no obligation’ chat with one of Account Managers. Let us help you to help the next generation of workers with a quality apprenticeship.
Whatever you decide to make your New Year Resolutions, we wish you every success!